Protests in Minsk, Belarus (photo:Jana Shnipelson)
Belarus: Onslaught on free press continues unabatedly

Press-ECPMF

09 July 2021

No Comments

July 9, 2021

 

The European Centre for Press and Media Freedom (ECPMF) remains highly concerned by the continuing onslaught on independent media in Belarus, which appears to have taken yet another turn for the worse this week. We reiterate our call on the authorities of Belarus to immediately and unconditionally release all arrested journalists, media workers and political prisoners. We also call again on the European Union and its member states to further increase the pressure on President Lukashenka and his collaborators and to further expand practical and financial support for Belarus’ independent journalists, media workers and outlets. 

 

On 8 July 2021, authorities raided the offices of Naša Niva and the homes of several of its staff, arrested several journalists including editor-in-chief Jahor Marcinovič, and blocked access to the website of the popular independent online publication, which is one of the oldest Belarusian newspapers. As reported by the Belarusian Association of Journalists (BAJ), the information ministry said that the website had been blocked at the request of the Prosecutor General’s Office in connection with the distribution of content banned under the Media Law. Marcinovič was arrested as he was walking his dog and brought to his apartment, which was searched. He was placed in custody for 72 hours as a suspect in criminal proceedings for alleged “organising or taking an active part in group actions grossly disturbing public order” (Part 1 of Article 342 of the Criminal Code). According to the Associated Press, Marcinovič needed medical attention during his interrogation. The BAJ reports that also the homes of deputy editor-in-chief Andrej Dyńko, editor Andrej Skurko and chief accountant Voĺha Rakovič were searched and they were all brought in for questioning. Skurko remains in detention.

 

Also yesterday, officers of state security service KGB also searched two regional media outlets, the Brestskaya Gazeta in Brest and Intex-Press in the city of Baranavichi. In Orsha, authorities questioned Ihar Kazmiarchak, human rights activist and editor of orsha.eu newsportal, about damage to urban spaces with political slogans and detained him for 72 hours. In the same town, the home of photographer Dzyanis Dubkou was searched. In Bobruisk, the KGB detained Alesya Latsinskaya, a journalist who worked for the independent bobr.by newsportal. And in Vitebsk, freelance journalist Vital Skryl was interrogated and detained for 72 hours as a suspect under Article 369 of the Criminal Code (insulting a government official). The authorities also raided the house of another local journalist, Zmitser Kazakevič, head of BAJ-Vitebsk. In the same region, freelance journalist Zmitser Lupač was detained by the KGB at the Plisa resort, where he was on vacation. His wife told the BAJ that police had also come to his home.


Yesterday’s repression brings the total number of media workers currently in prison in Belarus to 32. Reportedly, additional searches are being carried out today at the time of writing, as the Belarusian authorities move to further silence critical journalists and shutter independent outlets in the wake of mass protests that have followed last year’s rigged presidential elections.

Read news by categories:

Related news

Press release

Feindbild Journalist:in 8: Angst vor der Selbstzensur

Die Zahl der physischen Angriffe auf Journalist:innen stieg im vergangenen Jahr im Vergleich zu 2022 wieder an. Nach 56 Fällen im Jahr 2022 verifizierte das ECPMF für 2023 69 Fälle von physischen Angriffen auf Journalist:innen.

READ MORE
Statement

Georgia: MFRR partners strongly condemn new attempts to introduce a “foreign agent” law

The undersigned media freedom organisations strongly condemn Georgia’s ruling party's renewed effort to pass a Russian-style foreign agent law.

READ MORE
Statement

Safety and justice: demanding accountability for attacks against journalists in Serbia

Commemorating 25 years since the brutal murder of Serbian journalist Slavko Ćuruvija, media freedom organizations unite to condemn continued impunity in this case.

READ MORE
General

Three years later: Still no justice for murdered Greek journalist

Three years have elapsed since the assassination of Giorgos Karaivaz, a veteran Greek crime reporter. Today, the undersigned members of the Media Freedom Rapid Response (MFRR) commemorate his death and renew demands on the Greek authorities to redouble their efforts to bring the perpetrators to justice.

READ MORE
Threat

Slovakia: Independence of Slovakia’s leading TV news channel must be protected

ECPMF is deeply alarmed by the actions of the Slovak government towards Slovakia's leading commercial broadcaster, TV Markíza.

READ MORE
Statement

CoE’s Recommendation represents a significant milestone in the fight against SLAPPs

CASE welcomes the Council of Europe’s Recommendation on SLAPPs, approved by the Committee of Ministers on Thursday 4 April.

READ MORE
Tags :