The ECPMF is a non-profit organisation that promotes, preserves and defends media freedom and professional journalism in Europe. The organisation is a European co-operative based in Leipzig, Saxony, Germany.
Under the reservation of a positive commitment from the European Commission, the ECPMF and its partners will continue the Media Freedom Rapid Response (www.mfrr.eu) in 2021. The programme tracks, monitors and responds to violations of press and media freedom in EU Member States and Candidate Countries. It provides legal and practical support, public advocacy and information to protect journalists and media workers.
The second year of the programme is expected to start in May 2021. The project is delivered by a consortium of seven organisations based across Europe. ECPMF is in the lead for the project.1
The Media Freedom Rapid Response Coordinator is in charge of coordination, both within ECPMF and the consortium related to all activities including advocacy, communication and practical help on a daily basis.
- Support the ongoing refinement of the MFRR and its instruments
- Collaborate with and support the steering committee that oversees strategy and response planning for severe violations
- Decide and co-ordinate responses on a daily basis
- Further develop and manage the existing communication scheme including virtual conferences, chats and personal meetings to ensure the smooth performance of the MFRR
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to ensure effective communication, including the delivery of a safe and secure communications plan
- Take part in applying, reporting and evaluating the MFRR
- Represent the project within the consortium and to stakeholders outside, including media outlets and representatives
- You will report directly to ECPMF’s Managing Director
What we expect
- A university degree in economics, international relations, social science, development or any other field related to the areas of work.
- You have experience with project coordination and management, managing personnel, quick decision taking and networking
- You have at least three years of experience working in the EU, in the field of project coordination
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication skills and social intelligence
- Knowledge of working for an NGO
- Experience coordinating or working in a consortium or network of partners towards one central set of objectives
- strong affiliation to the topics of press and media freedom
- You are fluent in English, spoken and written; other languages (German, Spanish. French) welcome
- You are a flexible, ambitious person with a high sense of responsibility
What you get
- Your salary will be oriented on the German public collective agreement (TV-L 11)
- Contract for one year with option for extension
- Possibility to travel to co-ordinate and supervise activities
- office in Leipzig, a strong and highly motivated team
- a mission worth fighting for
1 In January 2020 the ECPMF and its partners applied for the open EU call to conduct the second year of the Europe-wide Response Mechanism for violations of press and media freedom (https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.eu/en/funding/call-proposals-media-freedom-and-investigative-journalism). The European Commission will decide in the upcoming weeks on that call.