Press freedom in Europe needs defending, above all in these times of COVID-19. That is the mission of the Leipzig-based European Centre for Press and Media freedom (ECPMF). Our work is based on the European Press Freedom Charter.
Now we need your help
ECPMF is hiring an event and awards manager to start work in July 2020. In this position, you will develop and launch a new Impact Award for Cross-border Investigative Journalism at an international conference and prize giving ceremony, as part of the IJ4EU project.
And if the ’Innovation Lab’ funding bid is successful, you will also organise a study tour of Germany for media workers from Ukraine. In this position, you will need to be a self-starter and a team player, as you will work in close collaboration with the advocacy and communication teams.
Because of the funding situation, the post will end on 28.February 2021.
The job entails:
- Planning and launching the “Impact Awards”, starting with the advertisement, through the appointment of the jury to the awards ceremony for this new investigative journalism prize.
- Planning the content and logistics of the second “Uncovered” conference of the European cross-border investigative journalism project in spring 2021, working in consultation with project partners.
- Depending on the success of the funding bid: organising a study tour of Germany for media workers from Ukraine and accompanying them on the tour.
- Creating the conference content and choosing the speakers, jury members, topics and study tour roadmap.
- Taking care of the prize winners, speakers and representatives of partner organisations
- Writing texts about the events and managing the invitations
- Supporting the work of colleagues in advocacy and communications
What we expect from you:
- Degree or diploma in event or project management or equivalent educational programme
- Professional experience in organising events and public relations initiatives, ideally in Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) or human rights campaigns
- Well-informed interest in media, politics and the role of media in society
- Knowledge of budget planning in the context of project management
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and planning software
- Excellent knowledge of German and English. Additional languages are a bonus
- Professional appearance, reliability, willingness to take on responsibilities and excellent communications skills
You can expect from us:
- You’ll be working in a team with a collegial atmosphere and clear communications
- Your pay will be based on TVL-8 with the corresponding level of experience
- Depending on the success of the funding bid this will be a 95% post ( 38 hours a week)
- A workplace in the Gohlis district of Leipzig
- The possibility of continued employment
ECPMF operates on a pan-European level and welcomes applications from the whole region.
We look forward to hearing from you!